Captioned Media

Captioning Services

Real Time captionists are hired by the university to provide accommodations to deaf and hard of hearing students as required by law. They are professionally trained and adhere to a code of ethical and professional standards to transcribe (caption) all information accurately. The captionist may be either a college employee or a contractor working on an hourly basis.

Captionists use a laptop equipped with specialized software (C-Print) or use a stenographic machine and laptop (CART). Their role is to transcribe or caption all spoken information including conversations between students, their classmates and their instructors. The captionist may also assist in voicing questions and comments that the deaf or hard of hearing student types on their laptop or mobile device.

Captionists do not:

  • Participate in classroom discussions or activities
  • Tutor, counsel or help students with class assignments
  • Discuss the student’s personal information or class performance with instructors
  • Transcribe during class for inaccessible videos and media being shown
  • Proctor exams, tests and quizzes when the instructor leaves the room

The transcripts of class are made available to the student receiving the accommodation only. Captionists do not caption when the student is not in class and will leave if the student does not show up for class.

To request captioning services for class, students must:

  • Request an appointment to meet with the sensory services coordinator, follow the process to request accommodations and receive a Student Accommodation Letter to give to instructors.
  • Register for classes as early as possible during the registration period and provide the sensory services coordinator with a copy of their class schedule as soon as possible. The schedule must include the course number and title, instructor’s name, days the class meets, beginning and ending time, building and room number.
  • Immediately notify the Sensory Services Coordinator of any changes in their schedule, such as added or dropped classes, change in section, change in room, etc.
  • Abide by the Captioning Services Policies.

Students who need captioning services at an event or activity should fill out the Interpreting and Captioning Request Form and email it to your home campus coordinator. This form can also be completed and submitted online by visiting the Accommodations for Events and Activities page.

Students who need more information about captioning services may email the Access and Accommodations Center or call your home campus coordinator.