Disability Related Absences
Flexibility with attendance and related deadlines accommodation
The occasional modification of assignment deadlines, exam dates, and attendance requirements accommodations are to be used when you are unable to meet a deadline, take an exam at the scheduled time, or attend sessions of class due to a manifestation of your disability. The use of these accommodations must always be linked to your disability. This does not constitute an excuse to miss class regularly or turn in assignments late regularly.
Things to remember when needing to engage a modification accommodation:
- COMMUNICATE with your professors. Contact your professors (by phone, email, or in person) as soon as possible EACH time you need to engage these accommodations. Include a plan for how you will make up the work and access the information you missed.
- Example: Hello, Dr. White. I will be missing (or “missed”) your Biology 123 class today due to a manifestation (or flare-up) of my disability. I plan to get notes from one of my classmates and follow-up with you for clarification as needed. The assignment that is due today is attached (or, “will be completed by…”, or “will be brought to your office by…”). Please advise of any concerns. Thank you for your support! Mary
- Copy Disability Services on the campus where you are taking the course.
- Complete all required course work. Failure to plan for missed class material/participation may equate to missed course work in classes where participation is part of the grade. In some cases, an alternative assignment might be considered relatively equivalent, but must be requested via the communication process.
- Be aware of the potential for snowballing. When scheduling new deadlines and exam dates, consider other assignments that may be due around the same time. A need to delay due dates may result in the compilation of significant amounts of work due in a short time frame. A withdrawal may be necessary to allow opportunity for healing or improving health.
- If overwhelmed, call AACE to arrange an appointment to discuss options.
- Class grades based on attendance may be affected even with a modification accommodation. Attendance and participation are important parts of learning class material. Missing classes may prevent participation in activities that cannot be made up. Missing vital class activities or a number of class sessions may result in a grade reduction. For some classes (such as labs), attendance is a fundamental requirement. When an accommodation would result in a fundamental alteration of course requirements, for which there is not a reasonable alternative, the accommodation may not be permitted. Be aware of any percentage of your grade that may be based on active participation. For some classes, excessive absences may result in the need to seek an incomplete (if the work can be made-up) or a withdrawal.
- If physical attendance is a consistent concern, consider taking online classes/programs.