Rights and Responsibilities
Student Rights and Responsibilities
- Reasonable academic accommodations based on appropriate documentation.
- Equal access to an education.
- Equal and fair treatment.
- Confidentiality in all matters of your documentation and educational record.
- Request academic accommodations in a timely manner relative to the semester that they plan to attend.
- Advocate for themselves.
- Provide appropriate documentation of their disability.
- Meet privately with faculty to discern how their academic accommodations will be facilitated.
University Rights and Responsibilities
The university has certain rights and responsibilities as well. These rights are executed primarily through AACE and by members of the faculty.
Faculty Rights and Responsibilities
- Ask students to meet with staff members.
- Request documentation to substantiate validity of a disability.
What responsibilities does AACE have in order to ensure that students receive equal and fair treatment at Georgia State?
- Work with students in determining reasonable academic accommodations on a case by case basis.
- Teach self advocacy skills to students.
- Act as a mediator and advocate for students when appropriate.
- Maintain the confidentiality of students.
- Refer students to appropriate campus or community resources.
- Request verification of eligibility for academic accommodations.
- Consult with the Access and Accommodations Center regarding student academic accommodations when appropriate.
- Expect students with disabilities to meet the same academic standards as their peers.
- Meet with students confidentially to discuss their disability related needs and accommodations.
- Provide classroom materials in an alternative format when documentation supports the request.
- Consult with the Access and Accommodations Center to develop appropriate academic accommodations.